Here's a handy tool I found for getting the oil filter removed.
Not too much to say about changing the oil on the ST. Here's how I do it:
1. After warming the oil a bit I put it up on the center stand to pull the drain plug and drain the oil.
2. I reinstall the drain plug and then put a small foil shroud over the exhaust pipes directly below the oil filter.
3. I use the tool shown above to loosen the filter enough so it can be removed by hand. No oil drains from it yet.
4. I take the bike off the center stand and put it on the side stand. I put a paint pan under the oil filter area and remove
5. I clean the filter contact area, oil up the seal on the new filter and install it by hand.
6. I put the bike back up on the center stand so I can get a good grip on the filter and tighten it 2/3 to 3/4 turn past the
point it contacts the seating are. Refill the engine with oil and you're done!
Return to ST1300 Farkels page.
Return to Motorcycle links page.